Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Morning Spent With.........

.
http://www.haiku.insouthsea.co.uk/index.htm  For some reason George I could not make you link Pretty, I am sorry.
On the continuing road to becoming more knowledge about Haiku & sharing what I learn with my Friends of Haiku I came across “In the Moonlight a Worm…silently drills through a chestnut” by George Marsh & started to read.  The more I read the more I thought about sharing.  Instead of the doing a quick cut & paste I sent the following e-mail to George:
I have started OldSchoolHaiku as a way to learn & help myself & my social networking friends around the world to better understand & partake int the new fond joys of Haiku.  I would like your permission to use your Self Study as a basis for this learning at OldSchoolHaiku.
*note to self slow down USE the spell check option
I then received the following e-mail
Dear Bill

You are of course welcome to recommend my site, use brief and properly acknowledged quotations from it, and give people a link to it, but not to copy it and re-publish it on your site.

YoursGeorge Marsh
The teaching lessons on this website have been piloted in schools and colleges many times. They are written by George Marsh, who is the author of Teaching Through Poetry: Writing and the Drafting Process, published by Hodder and Stoughton in 1988. George has taught in schools, and in the teacher training departments and in the literature departments of the University of Portsmouth and University College Chichester. He has also run a poetry development programme in secondary schools for the South Downs College, Hampshire, and was Writer-in-Residence at Kingston Prison and Writer-in-Residence to the centenary of Portsmouth Football Club.

This is how I spent a very enjoyable 2hours (George say 1.25 to 1.30 hours) we all know Old School is not the brightest candle in the Hukai-(gathering of haiku poets).  Below are “MY I Didn’t know Thats”

Form-onji is a word I had not seen before or it is possible I just did not remember it.  Onjis are less varied than our syllables. I know I am still having trouble making the difference between the two( is using a  syllables counter cheating? It is on the list of thing to discuss). 

I like this!! -natsu-gusa ya / tsuwamono-domo-ga / yume no ato
                  summer grasses (:!) / strong ones' / dreams afterwards

This is the first time I have seen a haiku written sise by side in English & Japanese, I like it.

 Strict & Free Form-I am glad to have this explained as I thought that some
shijin-(poet) had too much socki or had spell of forgetting how to count.

Different Translatations-
Fields and mountains -
the snow has taken them all,
nothing remains
(Joso, trans. Blyth)
Fields and mountains
all taken by snow;
nothing remains
(Joso, trans. Horioka, amended George Marsh)

The same only different, right??
The Shortness of Haiku-I am going to have stay after class I look at this again.
Sound effects – Onomatopoeia-
Haiku can have the main subject at the beginning, in the middle or at the end.”  Now that I know it is OK I am not nearly as confused.
Recess-2 more cups of coffee a Jimmy Dean sausage sandwich loaded pictures of yesterdays “Davis Island Wasp Massacre” wrote this Haiga, posted it to twitter



took one moment, the scorching torture of Raid, never again


Master Basho’s Spirit-Everything in haiku is in the present-light bulb flashing over OldSchool’s head & haiku that are considered the most beautiful have images that have hit upon universal oppositions”
Zen Buddhism- I do remember that or at least part of it..
CHILDRENS HAIKU-I wish I was a kid again!!!
This is what I wrote as my class project:
Moonlight, worms, chestnuts, the light is now much brighter, many thanks George

No comments: